tonight i went to “La Scala” theater, and once again i convinced myself that i madly like music, any kind of music that is good.
fuck how i like music!
i can’t be without it.
i listen to it constantly, always, at home, in the car (at obscene volume…), in the studio ,,,
it is not only an instrument tha can give great emotions, but also an extraordinary thermometer to define a period, an era, it always tells exactly who we are.
i want to make a personal list of music i loved so much and still do.
beside the most recent one, up the the year 2000 to include that representing my musical roots.
in the last few years i’ve loved some singers maybe even more than previous one, but these are the foundations over which i’ve build a big and strong home.
it has been very difficult to select only 12 albums, but this was the number i choose, i left out many, far too many.
also because up to now my itunes has 13.030 songs, for about 1.300 albums ….
these are my final choices :
– joy division “unknown pleasure”. teenagers always have a kind of melancolic spleen, a kind of self distructive behaviour, reading baudelaire while dreaming to drink absinth. mine coincided with this very gloomy record. the cover also a masterpiece.
– tom waits “blue valentine”. i choose this one but i could have chosen any other of tom waits. for instance the great “closing time”. gloomy smoky introspective atmosphere.
– vinicio capossela “l’indispensabile”. if i liked a lot tom waits, would i not like capossela? it is a collection, this is why i choose it, thay are all extraordinary.
– michel petrucciani “live”, what a genius petrucciani! a crippled midget with a genius in his hands. i’ve seen him live twice, once i even went into a kind of trance while listening to his music.
– the cure “seventeen seconds”, the cure are great, and this is their best album. very modern when it came out, very modern still now.
– chet baker “my funnay valentine’. what a genius baker! His voice not masculine, nor feminine ….. he plays the trumpet like a caress.
– david bowie “ziggy stardust”, what can i say …. david bowie!
-fabrizio de andrè “fabrizio de andré vol. 3″. the greatest italian poet. that’s it.
-air “moon safari”. this unknown french arrived in the nineties and revolutioned the music.
-genesis “selling england by the pound”. The music of the seventies becames cultured. the progressive is born.
-neil young “harvest”. beautiful
-pink floyd “wish you were here”. masterpiece.
this is my music, these are my roots.
i have to go now, i’m sorry, i must listen to the last marvellous ben harper…