in one hundred people that define themselves as photographers, today, in 2013, there are:
- 50% who are absolute amateur photographers, that is, people who have never taken a photograph if not for themselves. they do not even have the ambition to be professionals, they hang around with the camera around their neck photographing what happens before their eyes. its all good, except that they often refer themselves as photographers on their website: as if someone who likes cooking spaghetti at home would call himself a chef.
- 20% of amateur photographers despite having a “real” job pretend to be professional, doing real editorials like those we see in magazines. they even find magazines (online of course) that make them do editorials (for free of course). in their heart they do not believe to be professionals, but from the outside, to shallow eyes, they may seem so. its all good, except that they often refer themselves as photographers on their website: as if someone who likes making spaghetti for friends called himself a chef.
- 20% of people that for a thousand and one reasons (in all truth they are always the same people: parents’ apartment for rent, grandparents’ and parents’ pension, family wealths..) they do not have problems with money and they behave as if they were professional photographers. They “pretend”. they like to believe and pretend to be what they are not. there are various degrees, for example they go from going backstage at fashion shows with a pass around the neck (to take pictures that will be published where?!?) to doing exhibitions, books or even real magazines. they really feel professional, and more so others think that they are: pity no one has ever given them more than one euro for their photographs. its all good, except that they call themselves photographers on their website: as if someone had a fake restaurant, without clients, without waiters and even without a kitchen and called themselves a chef.
- 5% of professional photographers that “take pictures”. they take pictures on the beaches, of weddings, news.. they do not have and it is not necessary to have any image culture. they are photographers by pure chance, just like others change tyres. they are the first on this list that see some dough. very little, but they get a few euros, a little more in the south for the weddings. all good, except that they call themselves photographers on their website: as if someone who has a pizzeria calls himself a chef.
- 3% of professional photographers working at the edge of the real industry, for crap magazines, with crap clients. all accomplished with ridiculous budgets. they have very little expenses and they pull through as they can. they call themselves photographers on their website, and so they should. but we know very well that, it is if the guy serving the sauces in a great restaurant called himself a chef.
- 2% and then you get the chefs.